[lbo-talk] papal logic

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Apr 22 17:26:02 PDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:54:13 -0700 (PDT) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> writes:

> The Philosophy Department of the Catholic University of America
> prides itself on being the first in the United States to teach
> courses on Wittgenstein.

Some of the logical positivists were interested in Catholic thought and in dialoging with Catholics. For example, Philipp Frank in his account of the origins of the Vienna Circle in his book, *Modern Science and Its Philosophy* wrote: http://www.autodidactproject.org/other/frank-MSP/frank001.html

"This apparent internal discrepancy provided us, however, with a certain breadth of approach by which we were able to have helpful discussions with followers of various philosophical opinions. Among the participants in our discussions were, for instance, several advocates of Catholic philosophy. Some of them were Thomists, some were rather adherents of a romantic mysticism. Discussions about the Old and New Testaments, the Jewish Talmud, St. Augustine, and the medieval schoolmen were frequent in our group. Otto Neurath even enrolled

for one year in the Divinity School of the University in order to get an adequate picture of Catholic philosophy, and won an award for the best paper on moral theology. This shows the high degree of our interest in the cultural background of philosophic theories and our belief in the necessity of an open mind which would enable us to discuss our problems with people of divergent opinions."

When Frank emigrated to the United States, he was on rather friendly terms with the neo-Thomist philosopher Jacques Maritain.

Jim Farmelant

____________________________________________________________ Click to find information on your credit score and your credit report. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTIkRpoqDzHqw0PfsbZjUDbioyxs7kAwcKQxEpXY3ZN1ernkQWwrxW/