[lbo-talk] what happened to ISPs?

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Apr 23 12:02:56 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:42:21AM -0700, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> One more comment - I noticed that most home wi fi services are now
> encrypted to prevent others from using them. This benefits
> telecoms, as it limits free riding, but not users who have nothing
> to lose from other using their access.

Except...

* Lawsuits from the MPAA or RIAA * Child Pornography charges * Being charged with whatever else the technologically ignorant local

DA cares to throw at them

...should someone do something illegal with their wi-fi.

> It is quite ironic that people do it nowadays.

I think it is ironic that in a thread where you wanted cheap, reliable & fast Innernets (to paraphrase Jordan: I would like that too, and a pony) you went to complain that your neighbors aren't sharing their [what also must be] unreliable and slow Innernets.

> I am probably the only DSL subscriber in the
> area who does not encrypt the wi fi access.

I know people who put their cell number in the broadcasted SSID; e.g. "call-555-1212-for-key". That is kinda cool - you want on my wifi, at least ring and ask, and then you get the WEP/WPA key.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Without disclosure there is no truth, without truth no accountability.

-Richard Thieme