[lbo-talk] Americans sorta like torture if it works

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 03:51:17 PDT 2009

Exactly my thoughts... Joseph's argument misses two things. First, were he unambiguously correct anyone planning crimes, genocide or what-have-you - but who didn't actually engage in the activity - could get away with claiming they were just expressing the opinion that something could be done. "I was just imaging what could be done... what you call my plans are the same as speculative fiction." Second, there is a difference between the free expression of thoughts in a public arena and legal support of obviously illegal activities by those in positions of power... the standards of practice and expectation is, and ought to be, higher in the latter case. We need to draw lines in grey areas, even if we don't always agree on where the line should go.