[lbo-talk] Americans sorta like torture if it works

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 24 11:29:00 PDT 2009

In the 1980s (and before then) the IRA used punishment beatings, interrogation and what I guess would be called torture. So did many other national liberation movements. I wouldn't say that they were right to, or wrong to, only that it was their right to decide what means to use in the prosecution of their cause, and that that was a secondary question to whether their overall cause was just.

A revolution is not a tea party, as Engels explained.

The reason to oppose torture by the state is that you do not trust that state to act in the interests of the people. Is there is an absolute moral case against torture? I don't believe so.