[lbo-talk] more on Robinson

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 24 12:04:25 PDT 2009

Thanks for this. Probably in the next few months I will be using software to have e-mail read to me. To be able to have some blogs read aloud would be quite a big improvement. At 78, however, the learning curve is steep in radically changing the way in which one takes text in. One thing neither magnifiers or sound do, however, is permit quickly browsing a text to find a particular passage. I can read a text on my optelec (though not comfortably) once I have it in front of me, but if I want a particular passage (say in the Cantos or the Grundrisse), there is no way I can flip tghrough the pages looking for it. And as for using indexes -- hah!

Incidentally, the existence of google books has crippled google search for some purposes. I wanted to find a particular passage in Mansfield Park, and I had a phrase to search which got me Mansfield Park o.k., except all the references were to google books or to articles that included the phrase. I know there is a web site that has _all_ the Austen novels, and I use to access the passage I wanted in a few seconds. I gave up on google to find it for me yesterday.

Carrol