[lbo-talk] more on Robinson

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Apr 24 15:06:09 PDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:22:50 -0700 Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> So my suggestion for Robinson and others, do your homework. Make the
> case you want against Israeli government actions and policies, but
> don't be uninformed about it. You'll face charges of anti-semiticism,
> treason, professional misconduct, hate speech, bigotry, and more, so
> back up your position in advance.

This is all quite true, and nobody would argue that ill-informed or badly-reasoned attacks on Zionism and Israel are preferable to the kind CG is advocating.

But you'll still be called an anti-Semite, etc., no matter whether your reasoning is good and your erudition profound, or not.

Frankly I think the important thing here is quantity, not quality. We have to get to a point where there are just too many people throwing shoes at Israel for the ADL to keep up. The hell with nuance and caution and sensitivity and ritual denunciations of anti-Semitism as the prolegomena to any possible critique of Zionism. It's time for some bare-knuckle demagoguery.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org