[lbo-talk] Politics Beyond Prisons

Politicus E. epoliticus at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 07:45:50 PDT 2009

The following event may be of interest to those in the Seattle area. Please, if such postings violate the norms of LBO-talk (i.e., event announcements are frowned upon), send me an off-list e-mail letting me know, and I won't make such postings in the future.

-----

Please join the Race/Knowledge Project for a critical dialogue on the planned $220 million Seattle municipal jail project and the emerging struggles against it. This event is held in conjunction with a special exhibition of Voices from Outside - Artists Against the Prison Industrial Complex.

The Justseeds Portfolio Project: Voices from Outside is a limited edition portfolio of original prints in honor of Critical Resistance's 10 year anniversary.

Presentations by Chandan Reddy (University of Washington), Renee Byrd (University of Washington), Moni (CARA—Communities Against Rape and Abuse), Dean Spade (Seattle University; Sylvia Rivera Law Project), Tim Harris (Real Change), Sarah White (SYLAW—Street Youth Legal Advocates of Washington), followed by an hour-long conversation with invited guests and a catered reception.

ASL interpreting will be available at this event.

www.raceknowledgeproject.org

Sponsored by the Simpson Center for the Humanities at the University of Washington

Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009 Time: 3:30pm - 5:00pm Location: Univ. of WA, Communications Building, Rm. 226 City/Town: Seattle, WA Email: skelsey at u.washington.edu