[lbo-talk] Robert Frost Defends Robespierre, Lenin, Mao

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 25 11:55:03 PDT 2009

Speaking of Mao, I was struck by this passage in the libretto for Nixon in China, which I was listening to recently:

Mao: You know we'll meet with your confrere

The Democratic candidate

If he should win. Nixon: That is a fate

We hope you won't have to endure.

I'd like to make another tour

As President. Mao: You've got my vote.

I back the man who's on the right. Kissinger: Who's in the right you mean. Mao: No, no. Nixon: What they put forward we put through. Mao: I like right-wingers: Nixon, Heath -- Nixon: De Gaulle. Mao: No, not De Gaulle. I'm loath

To file him in that pigeonhole. Kissinger: But Germany's another tale. Mao: We've more than once led the right wing

Forward while text-book cadres swung

Back into goose-step, home at last.

How your most rigid theorist

Revises as he goes along! Nixon: Now you're referring to Wang Ming,

Chiang, Chang Kuo-tao and Li Li-san. Mao: I spoke generally. The line

We take now is a paradox.

Among the followers of Marx

The extreme left, the doctrinaire,

Tend to be fascist. Nixon: And the far

Right? Mao: True Marxism is called that by

The extreme left. Occasionally

The true left calls a spad a spade

And tells the left it's right.

Founders come first, then profiteers....

Fiction, you could say, but the librettist, Alice Goodman, has said it was very faithful to the actual dialogue. Anyone know more about this?

Doug