[lbo-talk] Robert Frost Defends Robespierre, Lenin, Mao

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Apr 25 18:00:58 PDT 2009

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:03:11 -0500 Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > Never could read Dryden, myself. Pope, yes, but Dryden's like getting
> > teeth drilled.
>
> I much prefer Pope, but Religio Laici & Macflecknoe, as well as the
> Virgil translation, are quite wonderful.

Pope is a lot smoother than Dryden, but Dryden is gnarlier. I guess that's the same thing, isn't it?

It's like oh say Buxtehude vs. Vivaldi. Oh okay, that's very unfair to Pope. But we're talkin' first approximation here.

> He could be awful, however, in a way that Pope couldn't

And good in a way that Pope couldn't -- the poor little snobbish hunchbacked parvenu was too interested in appearing well-bred.

Dryden is Grub Street. Pope is Twit'nam. As a big Dryden fan, I demand to know: Just when was he awful?

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org