[lbo-talk] Trotsky's ashes made into cookies

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Apr 25 19:42:33 PDT 2009

Dorene wrote,

"A lot of Russian men are huge romantics. I would not expect the ones willing to go to tango class to be anything less than great partners. Might generalize to the ones who don't tango though."

I'm not sure how much it has to do with romanticism. Latin men are romantic too.

What is key is their musicality and, I don't how else to put it, poetic sense.

Tango music embraces a lot of styles (classic/waltz), moods, tempos, and cultures. It got turned into a nearly universal dance form in the 20's, and so there are French, Greman, Spanish, Latin, Turkish....flavors. It's one of the richest and most complex dances I've ever done & the Russians seem to have the musicality to maneouvre through all this with ease and pleasure.

If you have the patience to learn it--it takes six months of weekly lessons and practice to feel semi functional--I think you'll find, as I did, that it's one of the few things in life that's even better than the fantasy.

Joanna