[lbo-talk] liberal austerity

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sun Apr 26 06:24:31 PDT 2009

An inflation of X percent reduces the real debt by that same amount.

Meanwhile a lot of old folks & others on fixed income would starve or freeze to death.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:26 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] liberal austerity

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Max, have you ever met a deficit you don't like? Surely the sort
we're
> seeing this year and next isn't sustainable. Should we worry about
> paying it down, or just forget about it?

How great/long a hyperinflation would it take to wipe out the debt & start with a clean (!) slate?

And what would happen when the inflation ended?

Carrol