[lbo-talk] More on Literature and Revolution

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Apr 26 21:43:37 PDT 2009

"During my time as a student in the arts, two then current and well known writers were definitely kept out of the discussion of US art history -- Arnold Hauser and Andre Malraux. So then the social condition of the arts and their psychological unity and function that Trotsky talks about were both excluded. These writers including Trotsky of course in effect represented the illegitimate realm, as opposed to the legitimate realm of the academy."

Thank you Chuck. You picked out some great passages. When I read the above...about the critics excluded from criticism, it brought back something even more incredible.

When I used to teach the introductory composition class at various colleges, I always included Marx's very brief essay on money (Money is the pimp between man and the object of his desire...) into the reading list. It's short; it's beautifully written; it's easy to understand: nearly undergraduate proof. I used it to show the students that Marx was comprehensible and that he had interesting things to say.

On time, at the end of a class where we had discussed this essay, everyone filed out except one student who just sat at his desk, shaking his head. I asked him if anything was the matter. No, he replied, it was just that he had taken a class on Marxism and they had never read anything by Marx. This essay was his first experience with reading Marx.

Joanna