[lbo-talk] More on Literature and Revolution

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 27 05:39:08 PDT 2009

Mark Bennett wrote:

> "There is more ado to interpret interpretations than to interpret things,
> and more books upon books than upon any other subject; we do nothing but
> comment upon one another. Every place swarms with commentaries; of
> authors there is great scarcity." Montaigne "Of Experience".

And what is your interpretation of this; what is its significance? It would seem to me impossible to interpret things except through the mdeidum of interpreting other interpretations. I would imagine that when consciousness dawned in the early days of homo s. (or in the late days of the immediate predecessor of homo s., it took the form of commenting on what had been the implicit interpretation of things in the activity of its predecessors.

Carrol