[lbo-talk] Liberal Austerity

Politicus E. epoliticus at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:37:49 PDT 2009

Henwood wrote: "It's one thing to say that stimulus shouldn't be withdrawn too quickly, and another to say you can't keep running deficits of 6-7% of GDP indefnitely [sic]. You can't, though maybe Max would think that's ok."

I disagree. It is a slippery slope from the assertion "you can't keep running deficits of 6-7% of GDP indefinitely" to the claim "the stimulus should be withdraw." An important foundation of the present communications strategy of the Republican party is precisely, of course, moving from the view that the federal government can't keep running these deficits indefinitely to the conclusion, for example, that stimulus is not needed.

My comment about Ricardian equivalence was an attempt to get you to disclose your theoretical position on this. What is your argument? Is your position neo-Keynesian along the lines of DeLong? You buy into some variant of the quantity theory of money?

Your response to Cox, earlier in this thread, you held the Post-Keynesian-cum-Marxian class conflict view of inflation.

epoliticus