[lbo-talk] Bair: Nationalize the Banks

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Apr 27 11:53:17 PDT 2009

At last some good news: it looks like nationalization is slowly, painfully, finally going to happen. Those TARP funds are going to be converted into common stock, a.k.a. ownership, and creditors will take the hit:

"Bair Seeks Power to Shut ‘Systemically’ Key Companies" http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aeH.c5sqMplw&refer=home

This doesn't mean prosperity is around the corner, but should prevent a total economic collapse. I know certain Lefties (who almost always live comfortably industrialized First World lives) are fond of imagining the radical possibilities of total collapse, but (1) a Depression is in noone's interest, and (2) neoliberalism really is dead. We're entering a multipolar world, with lots of new possibilities and potential.

-- DRR