[lbo-talk] More on Literature and Revolution

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Apr 27 18:32:28 PDT 2009

likely kind of rare though. i mean, it's easily refuted by a look see at various syllabi posted on the innert00bz. the student might not have bothered, sure - i recall attending plenty of graduate seminars where people didn't read the material. but that there was, in the first place, an actual course on marx (extremely rare on most college campuses in the u.s.) and the person who could be bothered to actually teach such a course couldn't be arsed to assign marx? please. this is just mocking the people that take the risks they take in trying to teach such a class in the first place -- especially in the u.s. where it's a numbers game and it matters how many people sign up for a course. so, a course just on marx? not bloody likely.

as for the quote, i don't know. it seems like a really, i don't know, old and outmoded idea. that there are authors -- and then there are merely those who deign to criticize what authors write. and it's all so sad sad sad that there aren't people out there interpreting actual *things* instead of interpreting interpretation. oh, the tragedy! oh, the horrors of contemporary human condition. *rends clothes* *tears at chest*

as for what carrol said, i'm still kind of confused by it. the example reminded me of trying to think through the events of and what if questions that come up watching Terminator.