[lbo-talk] a Specter is haunting the GOP...

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Apr 28 12:36:14 PDT 2009

If Obama fails then it is quite possible, indeed likely, that we would see a revival of the far right. But I don't see the leadership of such a new far right emerging from the current cast of characters that are prominent in today's GOP. I think most of those people are too discredited to lead the opposition to Obama in the future.

Jim F.

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Bill Quimby <wquimby at embarqmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] a Specter is haunting the GOP... Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:07:06 -0500

Whoa there!

Call me a pessimist but doesn't history suggest that counting the right wing down for the count is a big mistake? Since the bottom line in everyman's accounting is whether they have food on the table, and we don't know really know how deep this recession will go, there may still be room for some charismatic right-wing leader (thank god I can't think of anybody in the present camp "charismatic" enough) to convince everyman that the problem is big government - or social welfare programs, or the immigrants, or the anti-Christ's, or the Jews (which seems to have worked well in the past.)

- Bill

____________________________________________________________ Find great prices on all makes and models of defibrillators. Click now! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTOTfeU6SCsjaCeMyDxUP3S6i70Ld6nOO8D9qZHM6Ej2AmRBZTo0TG/