[lbo-talk] U.S. auto sector socialized! WITBD?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 29 13:21:12 PDT 2009

On Apr 29, 2009, at 3:10 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:

> Concepts like "nationalization", "workers' control" and "employee
> ownership"
> only have relevance when there is a demand for labour and the
> working class
> is self-confident and on the offensive. When the workers and and their
> organizations are being routed and the class struggle, such as it
> is, is
> entirely defensive, these issues are no longer even fodder for Sunday
> speeches.

Well, that's too bad. Because the auto *industry* is far from dying, even if GM & Chrysler at death's door. With deep debt reductions and labor concessions, these firms could re-start with a much lower cost than before, even challenging some of the transplants. And with some political vision, they could actually use the moment to talk about making entirely new kinds of fuel-efficient, low-emission cars. Of course, they have no political vision. They're braindead and cowardly. But it's funny - people can talk boldly about what "we" would do if "we" could nationalize the banks, which is about as likely as my walking on water. But then two auto firms drop in the laps of labor and everyone shrugs.

Doug