[lbo-talk] U.S. auto sector socialized! WITBD?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 29 13:58:38 PDT 2009

Marv Gandall wrote:

> I doubt very much that it has any interest in the worthless shares of a
> dying industry, although it's probably still hoping against hope that the
> latest and deepest round of voluntary concessions will restore the sector to
> profitability.

Isn't this mostly a replay of what happened to the U.S. steel industry -- except that U.S. Steel, unlike GM, transformed itself into a non-steel company before closing most of its operations down. Steel workers were out in the cold. Auto workers will soon be it seems. But of course only a rump remains anyhow of large work force of the '50s.

Carrol