[lbo-talk] The extreme Google brain

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Apr 30 04:05:14 PDT 2009

At 05:25 AM 4/30/2009, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> > TeX has great elegance, LaTeX doesn't. I never got
> > into C or C++ far enough to see its conceptual unity. From what I could
> see,
> > I didn't particularly like it.
>
>I don't like mushrooms.

Ha! that was excellent. Thanks! ("it's white and has rounded corners" -- almost as funny, yeah.)

Yesterday, one of the UI people on my team was talking a recent "continuous quality improvement" initiative. He was saying that it's all a organizational culture thing and struggling to indicate what he meant by that. As lead developer, with world's more experience in these initiatives, I would have laid it all out but I thought it best to shut up while I let the developers struggle to identify something I know they know but rarely have time to think about.

Eventually, he tried to say it was all really a personality thing -- and thus moving away from the original structural (culture-thing) analysis he was struggling to develop. His list of what makes a person interested in quality was that they are "picky", "annoying in their tendency to look for errors, holes, inconsistencies."

"They're the people who buy iBooks instead of a Dell."

uh, yeah. Okey Dokey.

shag --

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws