[lbo-talk] Black scholar arrest angers Obama

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 19:25:38 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM, // ravi<ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2009, at 4:24 AM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>> What I have read -- and Gates, his lawyer, and POTUS have not contradicted
>> -- was that he initially "refused" to provide ID (which is, of course,
>> unlawful right there; and stupid to boot).  When he ultimately gave it, he
>> gave his Harvard ID...

>> According to the police report, Professor Gates initially refused to show
>> identification.
>>

>        --ravi

I too am very tired of this thread. And yes, it is stupid to refuse to provide ID to an officer (unless you are a fugitive, but good luck).

However, it needs to be said again that police officers are also legally obligated to provide ID and information about him/herself. According to most accounts I have read, officer Crowley also refused to fully and adequately identify himself.

So as far as the legality of the situation, maybe we ought to call it a draw?

Sheldon