[lbo-talk] Is the right out organizing the left on healthcare?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 05:29:03 PDT 2009

As far as I can tell, the dominant left liberal stance on health care is built on Obama's campaign theme of Hope. Beyond web organizing and a few local meetings/house parties MoveOn tries to organize, there is nothing but hope: "I sure *hope *liberal Dems and the Admin can get something better that what is passed... darn those obstructionist Blue Dogs and Repugs!" Carrol's poo-pooing of morality aside, the Right has developed fear-based ways of producing unthinking wide-ranging and mutually-reinforcing kinds of moral outrage... something that gets people off their duff and into the streets/meetings. Liberals developed feel-good hope during the campaign - feel-good hope which got people into institutionally-legitimated forms of coordinated individual action like canvassing and sitting at campaign booths... 99% of energized folks then, having done their duty, returned to normal, quiescent political inactivity. The Left... well, here in mid-Michigan, the Left is utterly and completely invisible... though I saw a few almost invisible booths on the block that was the political ghetto at the Ann Arbor Art Fair last month... it was TOTALLY unclear what most of them actually stood for. (At least, for all I thought their positions made no sense, the groups hanging out on the plaza in front of the Left Forum made it clear what they were seeking to generate.) What constantly pisses me off about Carrol's poo-pooing of moral foundations for leftism - and I think the comment that he's emphasizing the failure of ethical philosophy, a la Marx, not the importance of normative stances is right on - is that the Left has no constituency possessing an immediate, adreniline-based normative reaction to the innately-understood injustices of romantic and economic conservative politics... and no immediate drive to advance that normative agenda. There's a resignation and intellectualism on the Left that, it seems to me, needs something akin to moral outrage - moral outrage institutionalized into increasingly-sophisticated and intellectually-formulated collective action. At the moment, we have the intellectual formulations but nothing like the kind and extent of normative outrage necessary - and even less connecting one to the other... and I think it is clear that the groundswell's not going to come from the intellectual side, so we wait, poking and prodding and teaching and bitching. The Right organized itself thirty five years ago to combine hyper-rationalized economic strategies with hyper-prerational cultural politics to built a coalition of class and cultural warfare... and brilliantly blamed the economic and cultural war on their opponents. In the face of that liberals sought to defend their peicemeal and fractured "victories" and the left fractured and imploded on the rocks of failed internal democracy - in a milieu that desperately needed democratization - and ideological and identity purity - in an ever more hybrid world. Here's to a variety of hybrid democracy within emergent movements... much like those advanced by Barbara Epstein, Donna Haraway and Angela Davis in HistCon at UCSC over the last twenty years (I had no idea this list we so east coast-y... ). -A