[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 5 13:27:42 PDT 2009

Miles Jackson wrote:

> c b wrote:
> > Miles Jackson
> >
> > (The heroes of the Iliad are about as far from free-willed individuals
> > who make autonomous decisions as you can get!)
> >
> > Miles
> >
> > ^^^^^
> >
> > CB: Can we say they have destinies ?
>
> You'd have to check with the gods about that.

That's pretty accurate, actually. And there is even a debate over whether Zeus is master or subject of Moira. (Moir quals fate or destiny in the sense of "portion" (as of one's portion of the hunt or the meal). Men (women) do not determine in any way what their portion will be: that is given, somewhat mysteriously.

But what I want to add here is a point I don't have time to develop. The Iliad is a Tragedy, a Tragedy of Achilles, but it is NOT an Aristotelian tragedy, much less a post-Renaissance Aristotelian tragedy, because the poem concerns not how Achilles brings on (in any way) a tragedy but how he comports himself under a tragedy imposed on him by forces utterly beyond his control.

Carrol