[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 02:54:56 PDT 2009

I had no idea that the term was first used by De Tocqueville. Thanks. I have never read him.

Do you think that he may have been idealizing the stability of premodern society? As you're putting it here, it sounds a lot like the fantasies of the idyllic past you see in a lot of conservativism. (In particular, the ideal state being conceived of as one in which everybody knows his or her place and all classes work harmoniously is a mainstay of the classical European right; it was one of Mussolini's main points.)

I mean, he was French, writing in the aftermath of the French Revo, which saw abolishing traditional society and overthrowing ruling classes as its central goal. It's not like the France of De Tocqueville's time was a class-conflict-free place. What's particularly American about this?