[lbo-talk] James Ellroy on Lily Burk

Bob Morris bob.morris at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 00:09:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Dennis Claxton

> This murder has been haunting me very directly.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/209941

I know what you mean. My wife and I lived in CT briefly in 2007, when the Cheshire home invasion happened. It stunned everyone. Beyond stunned really. Let me put it this way. Prior to that I lived in LA for 30 years and this was the most sickening home invasion I've ever heard of.

The only survivor, the father, was beaten to a pulp. He wants the death penalty not life in prison, for the alleged humans who stole $15,000 from them, cut his wife's throat, raped their 11 and 17 yo daughters repeatedly then doused them with gasoline and burned them alive. They did it clean and sober too, no alcohol or drugs were found in them. The cops caught them fleeing the house.

The defense lawyers are saying the father and prosecutors are slowing things down by refusing to accept a life sentence. While I can certainly understand them wanting death (I don't support the death penalty), really, isn't life without parole worse than death.

That aside, that home invasion haunts me sometimes.

(It was random. They saw the mom driving a Mercedes and followed her home, then came back)

What happened http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/25/national/main3095614.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Now http://www.courant.com/community/cheshire/hc-petit-hearing-0722.artjul22,0,264710.story