[lbo-talk] BAR: The Peculiar Class Solidarity of Barack Obama and “Skip” Gates

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 06:02:43 PDT 2009

Surely there's nothing new about this, is there? Obama is Derek Jeter and the Ivy's are the Yankees... just ask Gary Sheffield... but isn't there a danger of reifying race by taking such a tack? My sense is, particularly after the speech Obama gave in Philadelphia last year, is that he is a Progressive striver... Progressive in that he sees science-based policy applied to nature, society and culture by scientific (read: professional) elites as the best and only way forward... and there is very little that is democratic or class conscious about such a stance. In this realm, Moynihan's culture of poverty is seen as evidenced not only in its most frequent application - poor urban Blacks - but also among poor rural whites... witness the coincident development of rural and urban poverty platforms in the 1960s, the former perceived as about Blacks and the later understood to be about whites... its actually very interesting relative to ideas of race, nature and space. But this kind of Progressivism is little more then the evil twin, Skippy, to any number of talented-tenth or five-percenter vanguardisms, isn't it? In short, whether conservative reactionary, liberal Progressive or left radical, all varieties of elitism have peculiar modes of class solidarity. Expecting reaction, Alan