[lbo-talk] Outrageous Poverty and the Blue Dogs

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Aug 9 09:17:39 PDT 2009

OK, you all know about Paris Hilton's $325,000 doghouse. Then the Wall Street Journal chimed in with an article by a British physician informing the American public that dogs get better health care than ordinary humans in the British medical system. Thank God for those good U.S. insurance corporations that protect us from such a fate. And thank God for warning us of the dangers of single payer. Dalrymple, Theodore. 2009. "Man vs. Mutt." Wall Street Journal (8 August). http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204908604574334282143887974.html#mod=todays_us_weekend_journal

Then Barbara Ehenreich published a brilliant piece showing how governments are criminalizing poverty -- yes, making it a crime to threaten society by sleeping on the street or some such violent act. Yet, dogs, are free to behave that way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/opinion/09ehrenreich.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=barbara%20ehrenreich&st=cse

From all this I have now learned that dogs have become the standard by which we must judge humanity. When a workers complement bosses for treating them like dogs, we will understand. Poor people should aspire to enjoy canine cuisine.

Makes you want to join the Blue Dogs. Or might there be a better system for organizing society? I don't have time to go any further. I have to get back to reading Kapital.

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com