[lbo-talk] Creationist theme park seized by IRS

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 9 11:36:52 PDT 2009

Central to the way kingship is bound up with the person of Yeshua ben Yosef ('Jesus' is the englishing of the Latin translation of the Greek translation of an Aramaic version of the name we usually render in English as 'Joshua') is that at the center of his preaching was the imminence of the Kingdom of God.

The notion of the KOG -- as opposed to the announcement of its presence -- was not a novelty in 1st century Israel, but rather a central part of the politico-religious tradition. The concept was certainly fluid, but from at least the time of Daniel (mid-2nd cent. BCE), the conviction existed that when the Kingdom came, even the dead would participate.

The Roman occupation took Jesus' preaching of the kingdom seriously enough to hang him as an insurrectionist (as the INRI on crucifixes recalls). After his death the Christian movement -- Jews convinced of the resurrection -- saw him as the visitation of YHWH promised by the prophets, and awaited the fulfillment of the Kingdom begun with the resurrected Christ, the 'first-born from among the dead.'

Christianity as a movement has always been a vast argument or set of arguments, as the rather odd assemblage of documents from its first generation (the New Testament) shows. From people who thought that they were on to literally the most important thing in the universe, it's hardly surprising that we get a collection that contains varying theologies, as Jeffrey Fisher points out.

The argument among the Abrahamic religions to today is an argument about the exegesis of the Hebrew bible. As America's leading scholar of Judaism, Jacob Neusner, puts it, the religion of ancient Israel has thee daughter-religions, and Christianity is the eldest. --CGE