[lbo-talk] Barbara Ehrenreich

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Aug 9 20:35:58 PDT 2009

To me though that seems like a bug in the system. Keeping people in jail is expensive and unprofitable. Keeping them criminalised, but out of jail (unless they make a fuss) and working for low wages is obviously much more profitable.

Of course the US does have the massive illegal immigrant pool of cheap criminalised labour which are maintained in similar or greater insecurity, so perhaps its native poor are simply surplus to requirements. Or too surly? Whereas the Australian poor are relatively compliant? That wouldn't surprise me at all, there is an element of that in the American culture which I have always admired.

That American populist culture again? The one that Wotjek is repulsed by. Nothing you can do with people who don't know their place and refuse to learn, except lock them up. Which might be the reason the US has more people in jail than anywhere else, it just has more people than anywhere else who don't know or won't accept their place.

Could be wrong, could just be that the American ruling class is even stupider than I thought. But that would be hard, I already thought they were the stupidest ruling class in the world. I mean, George Bush, they picked him for a leadership role!! The talent pool has got to be *REAL* shallow, right?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas