[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 08:45:33 PDT 2009

iirc (i don't have it in front of me) geertz defines culture as essentially (in a nutshell) the use of symbols, for communication and for understanding. not just passing on of behaviors. in which case you have just explained precisely why the passing on of such behaviors does not constitute culture -- unless you want to disagree with this definition of culture. on the other hand, i admit it's not entirely clear to me (IAmNotAnAntrhopologist--although i admit i play one in class, sometimes), that imitation doesn't require a certain use of symbols, if only in a very rudimentary way. seeing someone else do something and then seeing how that might be something you yourself could do? doesn't this require at least a modicum of abstraction from the event to the possibility of a future event, and further, the use of the observed behavior as a model of one's own behavior?

not a rhetorical question, and i'm thinking rudy has a handy answer to this that i would like to hear, since it keeps coming up in my own thinking when i think about, say, geertz, on the one hand, and peter singer, on the other.

honestly, the alan-cb conversation has me thinking about the problem in "blade runner" -- that they've got this understanding of humanity that is grounded in the ability to feel empathy, but when it turns out that there are other beings (namely, replicants) who can feel empathy, then that's maybe not a god definition of humanity. and then the whole thing calls into question the value of defining humanity at all.

sorry for the hit and run. off to meetings.