[lbo-talk] reading badiou -- worth it? (was: Review ofBadiou'sNumber)

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Aug 11 15:01:14 PDT 2009

Just a note of thanks to Dwayne and ravi.

I ran the perl script and copied the output, but of course I can import it to xp and post it. So the main flaw seems like the nsswitch.conf file hasn't been configured. It is still in its `example' phase. I never did know what nsswitch was supposed to do.

Obviously my unix skill set is rusted up.

The resolve.conf has the right address. The ifconfig as eth0 (on-board network card) has its address right. eth1 which is the ethernet card that came with the DSL modem has the right static IP address and right netmask etc. But aren't there supposed to be other `devices' like inetd daemons. See? I have to go back and re-learn all this stuff

In the nsswitch file it has a line `hosts:'. What should go there? This might be where the problem is...

Hey, btw, I reinstalled FreeBSD 6.2 yesterday and it runs. But then I had to configure the network and all that other stuff, so I pulled out Ubuntu 7.04. I'll say this Ubuntu, the install is smooth and the configurations for printer work out of the box. Sound, audio and DVD/CD read and write work. The other nice feature of Ubuntu is partitioning the disk, installing a dual boot and selectable OS systems, then moving xp to a new partition all work automatically if you choose them. That part is completely unlike BSD that makes you do these things manually.