[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:37:17 PDT 2009

// Geertz’s theoretical contributions start with his definitions and descriptions of culture. For Geertz, culture is “an historically transmitted pattern of meanings embodied in symbols, a system of inherited conceptions expressed in symbolic forms by means of which men [sic!] communicate, perpetuate, and develop their knowledge about and their attitudes toward life” (Geertz 1973d:89). In an alternative (and more quoted) formulation, Geertz states, “Believing, with Max Weber, that man [srsly!] is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun, I take culture to be those webs, and the analysis of it to be therefore not an experimental science in search of law but an interpretative in search of meaning” (Geertz 1973f:5).

Geertz, following Wittgenstein’s stance on language, believes that culture is not something that occurs in the heads of humans; “Culture is public, because meaning is” (Geertz 1973f:12). Cognition is largely the same throughout humanity (Geertz 1973f:13), while the symbols that people use to communicate are different. Symbols are not to be studied to gain access to mental processes, but as formations of social phenomena. //

from http://www.indiana.edu/~wanthro/theory_pages/Geertz.htm<http://www.indiana.edu/%7Ewanthro/theory_pages/Geertz.htm>

as for the definition of symbol, basically a symbol is anything that serves as a "vehicle" for a concept/ion, which is its meaning. this can be an act or an object. he also uses the framework of symbols as being "extrinsic sources of information." this could be more precise, but i think the failure to rigorously distinguish between sign and symbol, as chuck notes (or to draw on peirce even further, for example), doesn't really vitiate the project. but clearly it's important that the whole thing is public int he sense of being out there in the world, somehow, not just in our heads. symbols, and so meaning, are fundamentally social, unless i really misunderstand geertz, and i sure hope i don't. i don't have the essay right here, so i can't quote him directly on the definition of symbol, but hopefully alan or someone else can correct or bring more in line, if that's necessary.

how did we get to be talking about this in the first place? i have lost the thread of this thread.