[lbo-talk] Stephen Hawking, dead because of socialized medicine

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Aug 11 23:21:03 PDT 2009

>The controlling of medical costs in countries such as Britain
>through rationing, and the health consequences thereof are
>legendary. The stories of people dying on a waiting list or being
>denied altogether read like a horror movie script.
>
>The U.K.'s National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence
>(NICE) basically figures out who deserves treatment by using a
>cost-utility analysis based on the "quality adjusted life year."

If someone said that to my face and I had a loaded gun in my hand I wouldn't trust myself not to exterminate the animal that said it. Like you would a snarling, foaming at the mouth, mad dog. Writing such a thing is more than sufficient reason to summarily execute the author.

Oh horror, foams the mad dog! "It is vile and unnatural to ration health care according to relative benefit to the individual being treated! The only fair and proper way is to ration health care according to who has the most money. I have the most money! Begone from my hospital system you unworthy churls!"

Does it not even occur to this piece of scum that such rhetoric is not just offensive, but literally a mortal offense against those who lacks the financial means to spend millions of dollars on health care?

To execute the author of the vile opinion must surely qualify as self-defense? It certainly would have, back in the dark ages, from which this creature must surely have been born, before being sucked into a wormhole and expelled into our own time.

The poor can die in a ditch, the rich can spend billions to prolong their lives a few more minutes. No doubt that seems entirely natural to the rich. You can imagine their horror at the thought that useless poor people might be invited to clog up the health care system. When the corridors should instead be kept clear in case they might require health services.

But really, to just come right out and say it, is unbelievable arrogance. They can't possibly expect to win the debate with such inhuman rhetoric. But more, how stupid is it to provoke the majority of us with such filth? Have they never heard of discretion?

Damn, but if only I had an intercontinental missile. ;-)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas