[lbo-talk] Stephen Hawking, dead because of socialized medicine

Steve Palmer spalmer999 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 06:57:48 PDT 2009

The cost-utility calculation is done in the US too. It's just called 'wealth'. If you're not wealthy, you're useless. Healthcare is rationed - just using a different principle.

My mom in England has had both hips replaced, free. My Dad, who was a physician, had politics somewhere to the right of Ghengis Khan but was fiercely defensive of the NHS because he'd seen what absence of health care was like.

Nowhere where there is a universal health service is there a serious political party calling for its replacement by the US system.