[lbo-talk] reading badiou -- worth it? (was: Review ofBadiou'sNumber)

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Aug 12 10:34:03 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:11:45AM -0400, Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> Ravi wrote (to Chuck G):
>
> Why does it have a static IP address? I woulda thunk the default would
> be some DHCP provided IP from the NAT box or cable/DSL modem head-end.
> And if you don't have a NAT box, please get one. Simplest and fairly
> effective form of security. You should see the port-scanning that goes
> on my gateway on a daily basis.

> Yeah, I wondered about that too.
>

> Chuck, what's the topology of your home network?

This could be a problem with the PPPoE configuration (Chuck mentioned DSL). Newer DSL modems (e.g. the ones Verizon ships) include a PPPoE client (as well as NAT) and if he has a router trying to provide that functionality, they will both appear to malfunction.

Recently my Dad switched from cable to DSL and he was frustrated because he couldn't just unplug his wireless router from the cable modem and connect it to the DSL modem. I had to use the DSL modem's web interface to disable the NAT and PPPoE to make it a simple bridge, so that the wireless router could manage those aspects of the connection.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

-George Clinton