[lbo-talk] GEEK OUT (was reading badiou -- worth it? (was: Review ofBadiou'sNumber))

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Aug 12 11:56:42 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 02:14:39PM -0400, // ravi wrote:

> That should really be "... the cable modem too provides IP over
> Ethernet ...". But in fact (as may be the case with Matt's dad before
> he switched), some providers now provide a "dumb" modem I think[?],
> and insist on your using some sort of PPPoE capable device, or buy/
> rent one from them.

Actually it was the opposite - Verizon, formerly Bell Atlantic, at that time provided a dumb device (no extra charge) and required the PPPoE client be on your computer. Back then they also said it was against your ToS to NAT multiple computers behind the one with the PPPoE client (ha!).

Now they sell you a $60 Modem/Router but it doesn't have a switch in it, nor does it have Wifi. I would not be surprised if Verizon sells increasingly expensive single devices that are the PPPoE-enabled DSL Modem + Switch + Wifi.

In my case I wanted to use an existing Wifi Router and certainly didn't want to buy more hardware.

Come to think of it, I think I tried allowing the DSL Modem to handle PPPoE, and changed the Wifi Router from "router" to "bridge" mode (named exactly backwards, IIRC) which DID allow the PCs to have layer 3 connectivity. But the Wifi Router in this mode would not get DNS server info from the DSL Modem's PPP connection and include it when it handed out addresses via DHCP to the PCs behind it. I certainly didn't want to hard code DNS servers in his PCs and not seeing any way to convince the Wifi Router to pass along that info, I configured it as I described in my earlier email.

I didn't intend to distract from assisting with Chuck's problem, but just wanted to share something which I recently dealt with that could be applicable. Identifying if his DSL provider uses PPPoE, and where in his setup that functionality is being provided, would be a good start. The symptom of "I have addresses on my ethernet adapters yet can't seem to connect to the Internet" would have also described my problem.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 yahoo msg: beyondzero123

This is a good game, it's called, The Truth.

-Dimitri Moisevitch