[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:15:34 PDT 2009

Yeah, sure, and I don't think non-human species have culture either. I just don't think that either the universals most often provided by Maslow and the others Geertz critiqued or the specification of culture you laid out serve to sufficiently differentiate humans from non-human species. The universals are too general to have any actual substance and the specifics are too evident across species to serve... which is why, good Marxist that I am, I introduced the argument about the productive coevolution of qualitatively new cultures/natures resulting from the always-emergent, invariably-contested, thoroughly-uneven and inter-layered accretion of historically material semiotic conditions. A material semiotic homo faber rather than the more straightforwardly semiotic homo symbolicus I think you've supported and, just now (in the second post after this one), shown Geertz to embrace - at least in a "narrowed sense."