[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 13 03:46:10 PDT 2009

I think the term "symbolic thinking" is a little (OK, a lot) muddy. Thinking is a mental process; symbolic thinking is, presumably, a mental process that involves use of symbols, as in the interior monologue when I "talk" through a problem with myself or think through something using imagined pictures. But Geertz, at least as described by Jeffrey, seems to say that symbols don't tell us anything about mental processes. So what is he talking about?

(This is of course unknowable, but I doubt seriously that animals do not employ imagination in their cognition.)