[lbo-talk] Twitter: >40% pointless babble

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Aug 13 10:47:38 PDT 2009

Michael Pollak wrote:

> Is this, lbo-talk, a social context? I feel pretty strongly it is.
> But it's entirely virtual.
>
> I'm not saying twitter is the same in intellectual content as
> lbo-talk. But I'm saying: it's just as social as lbo-talk.
>
> Nor am I saying virtual sociality is the same as face-to-face
> sociality or even voice to voice. I'm just saying: it is a social
> context. In fact, it's sociality may be it's whole content for the
> 40% in question.

And the 40% "babbling" is probably about the same in many face to face social settings. (I just had a conversation with someone about the coffee we got at the bookstore: "This coffee's bad. I think they left it out too long.") A lot of social interaction involves language use as a social act. The content isn't really that important.

Miles