[lbo-talk] The T-Word...

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Aug 13 11:50:57 PDT 2009

On Thu, August 13, 2009 8:35 am, Somebody Somebody forwarded:

> From Cormac O Grada's newly published Famine: A Short History:
>
> Totalitarian famines of the kind associated with Joseph
> Stalin, Mao Tse-tung, and their latter-day
> imitators are on the wane.

As Grada's book points out, one of the biggest 20th century mass murderers of them all was the liberal democracy of the British government, which exterminated somewhere between 1 to 3 million Bengalis (I think Grada pegs the number around 2 million) in the terrible 1943 famine.

-- DRR