[lbo-talk] Twitter: >40% pointless babble

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Aug 13 13:14:03 PDT 2009

On Aug 13, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Matt wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:39:31AM -0700, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>> [WS:] But in the end, it is the face to face contact that matters -
>> not virtuality.
>
> Can you define this distinction without begging the question?
>
> I do not think it is possible.

For one thing, I doubt people will say the sort of things they write online when they are face to face. For another, in the real world there is no quota ;-) which I am way over, so I really should STFU.

> Having been playing and working with these technologies for almost 20
> years, I've heard all this before. First email, then the web, was
> going to deny us from having relationships with other people as we
> wasted our time hidden away in isolation. Yet, that hasn't happened,
> and in fact, the opposite has happened.

It has definitely happened to me, but (a) I might be the exception, (b) my isolation coincides not just with the rise of the Internet but also with my move to the USA and the end of my early 20s (which I suspect is the most social period for most).

--ravi