[lbo-talk] The T-Word...

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 13 13:50:32 PDT 2009

I agree. And the 1943 Bengal famine was simply the latest in a line of colonial era famines during the British Raj. Which is why gaining independence, as Amartya Sen demonstrated, meant among other things, gaining freedom from famine.

But, of course, if we justify famine in the Ukraine as an unfortunate, but unavoidable product of industrialization in the USSR, necessary to build up the capacity to defeat fascism... we could just as well make similar excuses for a famine in India that took place when Britain was fighting the good fight as well.