[lbo-talk] Call for Papers and Participants: URPE Conference on 10/24/09 in Brooklyn, NY

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 08:57:25 PDT 2009

probly shouldn't get carried away, but i guess sometimes i wonder whether there really are 'radical' analyses and responses (any more than there is, say, 'heterodox' rather than regular (classical or neoclassical) economics. (I know!! we'll have a radical response, called a 'conference', unlike them---it'll be in brooklyn as opposed to Jackson Hole (and that's why its really preferable to be neo/classical, unless maybe you're into the whole BDP/Brooklyn KRS1 (maybe ded prez?) hip hop thing.) What is the radical response to gravity?

Also, I wonder to what extent there really is a 'crisis'. And to what extent this crisis, if it exists, began in january 09, or nov 08, or in 07... Some may not see the crisis as being so delimited (death row). And maybe its a personality crisis (new york dolls). We have maxed out credit, a failing auto industry for some reason, and then there is the view (New York times recently) GDP R.I.P. (Park all the cars, and see if global warming chills.)

If it was me, i'd do a panel on something like whether differential game theory and similars (theory of forcing and transfinite logics) have any application to the current situation (or crisis, for those who prefer) which is readily apparent both as a form of logical Occam's razor (clarity beyond say, biopower), and practical application. (I tend to think behavioral economics, which while as presently practiced is often analogous to general equilibrium theory/neoclassical economics and hence applied to the wrong problems (eg irrelevant trolley problems) may actually be the most relevant issue. Or theories of fairness and choice aggregation (Brams, Saari)). I may not feel the same now, but I used to look at RRPE and it actually seemed like it was stuck in a falling rate of profit. I did note one person did have a presentation on complexity theory in economics, which at the time seemed to me to be pretty much the most conveniant paradigm with

which to rephrase economics without really contradicting it. (Just as people have pointed out, while some (such as Sokal in his Transgressing the Boundarties, argue that chaos theory undermined belief in a deterministic newtonian clockwork universe, the fact is nobody was able to find the chaotic solutions to newton's laws before computers, so the universe already and always was chaotic, and nobody noticed, knew, or could really prove this (though poincare bassically noticed it.)) anyway. urpe alway reminds me of slurpee.