[lbo-talk] NPR on California's Prison Crisis

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Aug 14 13:09:13 PDT 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> Sad because unions are supposed to be always a good thing? The
> guards' union doesn't just support these measures, it's a major
> driving force in their creation and funding. Fuck them and the nag
> they rode in on.

Indeed. Part of the evidence for unions no longer actually being organs of the working class or potential allies of left struggles is that the AFL-CIO and its member unions accept the prison guards into membership. Police U prison guard are, by the nature of their job, part of the enemy. Under some conditons of high social tension members of the armed forces can be expected to come over to our side. In fact one could define "isnurrection" as the refusal of the army to fire on demonstrations. But that can not be expected of cops & guards.

Carrol