[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Aug 14 15:29:05 PDT 2009

Just a note about Ubuntu, from yesterday's exchanges.

I think I've located the general issue. It has some documentation on it. I googled ubuntu, dhcp to static ip First I found this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/change-ubuntu-desktop-from-dhcp-to-a-static-ip-address/

Well, duh. Yes I did that.

So I looked further and found there was a known issue of having the GUI network dialog write the /etc/network/interfaces file.

The suggested fix started with deleting the GUI network dialog system all together. Then after it was deleted, reboot and write the changes manually. I started to write /etc/network/interfaces file manually then got lost. The example uses eth0. But my eth0 is an on-board network card I don'r use. The network card that goes with the DSL modem is labeled eth1.

Here is another suggested fix that looks better:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-ubuntu-linux-convert-dhcp-network-configuration-to-static-ip-configuration.html

I am going to try the above later today. But I would like to know from any Ubuntu users if the above looks correct.