[lbo-talk] Trapped in The Present: Part 2

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Aug 14 18:05:07 PDT 2009

``probelm i had with that is its nonbinding. i read one demand being a 4 day workweek. i guess my view might be well, what about a 39.9999 hour work week, or, say, a guaranteed annual income. exactly how do 'we' decide what 4 slogans...'' martin ----

In my view, the specifics of a list of demands are not particularly relevant. The important part is that the list is not handed down by authority. Instead the list arise organically out of a movement.

Take the demand for a single-payer plan now, for example. The next move is to block the machine that has ignored this demand. That blockage has to take as many manifestations as local and national single-payer groups can invent.

The forms of the blockage must be the siezure of some public space, and from there into to news media. The reason is that the news media is specifically not discussing single-payer. The way you might get them to discuss it is through an ever escalating series of demonstrations, teach-ins, sit-ins, strikes, job walk outs, etc, etc, etc.

Whatever you do collectively, the demands follow automatically. You'll know what to demand when the time comes.

CG