[lbo-talk] Ubuntu stuff

John Palmer john at sonoracohousing.com
Sat Aug 15 08:23:28 PDT 2009

Chuck, I am using Ubuntu with a static ip for a local area network. Here is my complete /etc/network/interfaces file:

auto lo iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1 iface eth1 inet static address 172.21.53.3 netmask 255.255.0.0 gateway 172.21.3.4

The instructions you posted look OK to me but be sure to include the "auto eth1" line in this file or the network connection will not come up after a reboot. If you installed the GUI for Ubuntu you can also use "gedit" to create this file (which is friendlier than vi). You need administrative privileges to do it, so in a terminal session run:

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

You don't need the broadcast, or network lines in the file if they are the default values.

My complete /etc/resolv.conf file is:

nameserver 68.1.208.30 nameserver 68.2.16.30

Again,

sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf

will allow you to edit this file. John Palmer