[lbo-talk] Twitter: >40% pointless babble

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 15:18:04 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Michael Pollak<mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> Barthes describes it exactly as Wojtek says.  (See _Mythologies_, the
> English translation by Annette Lavers, p. 116 and ff.)  Are you saying the
> issue of Paris-Match he's referring to (he doesn't cite an issue number, he
> said he was handed him at the barber's) didn't have on it what he said was
> on it?

Well, here's the cover Barthes referenced:

http://seacoast.sunderland.ac.uk/~os0tmc/art/saulte.jpg

I recall being told when I studied Barthes that it depicted a military cadet, rather than a soldier, but have unfortunately forgotten any details.

Can someone whose eyesight and French are both better than mine translate the caption?