[lbo-talk] AP: White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Aug 17 08:41:28 PDT 2009

If the uninsured had an option similar to what Federal employees have, it would not be the end of the world. It would help a lot of people who can't get coverage now because they did not get insurance and acquired preexisting conditions, or because they work for companies that provide no insurance.

The sticky part absent any public option (and does anybody know what a "coop" would look like?) is coverage for those with low wages. Since many workers make low wages, it is hard to shoehorn in a mandate on the firm. You need big subsidies, relative to the worker's wage level. The other sticky wicket is very small firms who will escape the mandate, and the impact that might have on firms just above the cutoff -- downsize and contract out to get under the ceiling.

I'm also hearing of provisions to gouge "savings" out of Medicare and Medicaid that could entail benefit cuts which will affect those currently covered, all for the sake of bogus 'fiscal responsibility' reasons.

Once the exchange is set up, it's possible that pressure to control subsidies and premiums in general will lead to the addition of a public option, as well as efforts to jawbone medical providers to keep prices from increasing as much.

Getting a near-universal system is a necessary prelude for raising the ratio of good care to expenses. No matter what happens this fall, this will not be over.