[lbo-talk] "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste."

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Aug 17 14:31:29 PDT 2009

In the famous words of Rahm Emanuel, the crisis is doing its work very well. One might have expected that people would be picking up the pitchforks to demand change; instead, they have been whipped up to demand more of the same. Can anybody here imagine what would've happened if lefties had tried to hold their own tea parties at Republican meetings? People got arrested for wearing anti-Bush T-shirts.

As a result and crisis management of Rahm Emanuel, the United States continues its rapid degeneration in fine fashion. Here at home, we're about to begin the first of our furloughs was the beginning of the semester. Presumably, we have to sign some paper agreeing not to do any work, probably to protect the state of the university from any kind of legal liability for forcing us to work without pay. Thinking about a twist on next week's lecture during such times would be some kind of violation of a legal contract.

Gov. Arnold is on a tear, pushing for an undermining of the state pension plan.

Hopefully, health care reform -- now rebranded as insurance reform -- will be dead. I assume that the major reform will be to reduce the funding of Medicare.

read more: http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/you-never-want-a-serious-crisis-to-go-to-waste/ -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com